Launched in 2013, the Penn Social Media and Health Innovation Lab is part of the Penn Medicine Center for Health Care Innovation. We also operate in partnership with the Leonard Davis Institute and the Department of Emergency Medicine. Click here to meet our team.
Mission The Penn Social Media and Health Innovation Lab conducts and disseminates multidisciplinary research at the intersection of social media, mobile technology, and health- exploring how new communication channels can enhance our ability to understand and improve individual and population health behaviors and outcomes.
Vision We strive to bring cutting-edge rigor and insight to the study of social media and digital tools to improve health. With high level competencies in research, thought leadership, public health promotion and digital health innovation, our multidisciplinary team:
- Conducts and disseminates innovative research on social media and digital health.
- Responds thoughtfully and nimbly to high profile health events locally and worldwide.
- Advances public initiatives to improve individual and population health behaviors and outcomes.
- Develops, shepherds and facilitates the adoption of digital tools to better understand and serve the needs of interdisciplinary health care stakeholders including patients, providers, researchers and policymakers.
- And, offers consultative services to Penn Medicine faculty, staff and students to develop future leaders in social media, digital technology and health.